Bumbling, Incompetent Fool Trump Only Has Accomplishments According To His Servile Swooning Slaves
TS
2018-01-18 02:44:07 UTC
What Trump didn’t do in 2017
Imagine if we had spent 2017 with a competent White House working to solve
America’s hardest problems.
By Ezra ***@ezraklein Jan 2, 2018, 9:40am EST

Political journalists cover what happens in American politics. That’s the
job. And so, over the past year, we’ve written about the tax bill, the
travel ban, the resistance, the tweets, the regulatory repeals, the
looting of the American government. It was a long 2017.

What we miss in those stories is what doesn’t happen. But what doesn’t
happen matters too. Time, energy, and money are limited. Opportunity costs
are real, and that’s particularly true in a White House as unfocused,
understaffed, and ill-managed as this one.

And so, in my 2017 retrospective, I want to explore some of the things the
Trump administration didn’t do, and the price we may pay for it.

In 2016, the most recent year for which we have data, a record 63,000
Americans died from drug overdoses — and two-thirds (and possibly more) of
those deaths were opioid-related. To put that in perspective, that’s more
Americans than died from HIV/AIDS in the worst year of the epidemic, more
Americans than die annually from motor accidents or gun violence. If
current trends continue, opioids could kill 650,000 over the next decade.

This is a crisis that needs not just money but also focus, leadership, and
creativity. Progress is possible — Vermont’s success has proven that. The
federal government could be scaling up Vermont’s program; it could be
throwing its vast scientific and public health resources into research and
support; it could be spending real money on a race-to-the-top program to
fund, study, and expand promising state and local responses; it could be
working to change our cultural understanding of addiction, our
counterproductive tendency to treat it as a moral failure.

Instead, capital — both financial and political — that could have gone
toward solving the opioid epidemic was plowed into undermining the
Affordable Care Act and funneling trillions in tax cuts to corporations.
Trump eventually declared a state of emergency over the opioid crisis, but
didn’t even ask for new funding to fight it. According to a member of his
own opioid commission, he’s been “all talk and no follow-through.”

The opioid crisis is just one example. Others abound. Climate change,
outdated infrastructure, college affordability, mass incarceration, child
care, and much more deserves to be on a list like this. There was a vast
array of problems more pressing, and policies more promising, than those
the Trump administration pursued in 2017.

We will pay the cost for what the Trump administration did over the past
year, of course, but we will also pay the price for what we did not do
with that time and those resources instead. That price will be harder to
see, but in the long run, it will likely be higher.

What if we hadn’t spent the last year trashing America’s global
leadership?
In 2017, the Pew Research Center surveyed 37 countries and found “a median
of just 22% said they have confidence in Trump to do the right thing in
world affairs.” Trump’s behavior, meanwhile, has frayed our most important
relationships. “The times in which we could completely depend on others
are, to a certain extent, over,” Angela Merkel, the chancellor of Germany,
said, in a stunning rebuke to the European–American alliance.

The world looks at America and sees a weakening power with chaotic
domestic politics and a correspondingly unpredictable foreign policy.

All this has left China, with its expansionist ambitions, floored at its
luck. Evan Osnos, who covered China for the New Yorker, told me that Trump
“has been such a gift to them that they are suspicious it’s real. A few
thousand years of history have taught them the universe is cruel, and they
can’t quite figure out how it was that the cosmos delivered to them this
American counterpart who seems so hell-bent on giving China a historic
opportunity for leadership.” (Osnos expands on this idea in a must-read
new piece.)

The time spent destroying America’s global leadership, giving China an
opportunity to accelerate its rise, and rewarding Russia for interfering
in our elections could, under another administration, have been time spent
building new relationships, modernizing our military, leading the world’s
fight against climate change, taking cybersecurity seriously, and
preparing ourselves for the problems of the future.

And America’s global brand matters for reasons beyond geopolitics. As our
standing drops, consider the inventors who, looking at an angry and
unwelcoming America, may not come here, the PhD students who may choose
not to stay here, and thus the companies and ideas that will not be born
here, and perhaps not born at all. It has been to America’s benefit that
Silicon Valley took root here. Its successor may not.

These are costs we will never quite know if we’ve paid. You don’t miss the
business that didn’t get founded, the patent that never got filed, the
experiment no one ever attempted. Similarly, if countries developing in
this era attach themselves a bit more closely to China’s model than to our
own, if they look at America and see a society that’s less worth of
emulation than was once true, there will be a cost to that too — a cost in
liberty around the globe, in the values that animate the international
order, and it could be immense, even if we never quite realize we’re
paying it.

What weren’t we thinking and talking about?
Politics in the Trump era is, for many, a terrorizing distraction, a daily
obsession. It crowds out other questions, pursuits, ideas, discussions.
Trump has weaponized social media and cable news, he has mastered the news
cycle by owning our outrage, he has learned that he can command the
conversation by lobbing incendiaries into our cultural and tribal divides.

As a result, he takes up inordinate mental space, among both his
supporters and his opponents. As this analysis from Echelon Insights
shows, Trump dominated the national conversation on every single day of
2017:

What if we had not spent all of 2017 thinking about Donald Trump? What if
all those mornings hadn’t been dominated by his tweets, if all those
evenings hadn’t been spent absorbing new evidence that his campaign was
linked to Russia and that he was trying to obstruct the FBI’s
investigation? What other conversations would we have had, what other
issues would have filled the space?

I don’t pretend to know the answer. But I don't believe that the role
politics is playing in so many of our lives now is healthy, that the daily
pitch and tone of the conversation is constructive. Even if you celebrate
political engagement, and I do, this isn’t a renewed civic spirit, but a
sense of emergency, of threat. It, too, is a cost, and we are paying it
daily, with untold long-term consequences for our country.
Ubiquitous
2018-01-18 04:41:06 UTC
TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-01-18 16:00:22 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
TROLL-O-METER
5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *bound by DNA to Nancy Pelosi
--
That's Karma

*Rumination*
152 - Stupid is infinite. And Democrats are trying hard every day to
prove that theory.
duke
2018-01-18 12:59:41 UTC
Post by TS
[...]
That 65,000 average is not much of an increase over 63,000.
Post by TS
This is a crisis that needs not just money but also focus, leadership, and
creativity. Progress is possible — Vermont’s success has proven that. The
federal government could be scaling up Vermont’s program; it could be
throwing its vast scientific and public health resources into research and
support; it could be spending real money on a race-to-the-top program to
fund, study, and expand promising state and local responses; it could be
working to change our cultural understanding of addiction, our
counterproductive tendency to treat it as a moral failure.
How about the addicted? Didn't it start with marijuana, which is such a popular
legal thing now which blossomed under 'ratbama?
Post by TS
Instead, capital — both financial and political — that could have gone
toward solving the opioid epidemic was plowed into undermining the
Affordable Care Act and funneling trillions in tax cuts to corporations.
Trump eventually declared a state of emergency over the opioid crisis, but
didn’t even ask for new funding to fight it. According to a member of his
own opioid commission, he’s been “all talk and no follow-through.”
A man has to blame himself first.
Post by TS
The opioid crisis is just one example. Others abound. Climate change,
outdated infrastructure, college affordability, mass incarceration, child
care, and much more deserves to be on a list like this. There was a vast
array of problems more pressing, and policies more promising, than those
the Trump administration pursued in 2017.
Too bad the 'rats in Congress are so disagreeable. All they want are more
illegals in Vermont.
Post by TS
We will pay the cost for what the Trump administration did over the past
year, of course, but we will also pay the price for what we did not do
with that time and those resources instead. That price will be harder to
see, but in the long run, it will likely be higher.
Shame on 'ratbama. He did it.
Post by TS
What if we hadn’t spent the last year trashing America’s global
leadership?
In 2017, the Pew Research Center surveyed 37 countries and found “a median
of just 22% said they have confidence in Trump to do the right thing in
world affairs.” Trump’s behavior, meanwhile, has frayed our most important
relationships.
Undoing what 'ratbama left behind.
Post by TS
“The times in which we could completely depend on others
are, to a certain extent, over,” Angela Merkel, the chancellor of Germany,
said, in a stunning rebuke to the European–American alliance.
The world looks at America and sees a weakening power with chaotic
domestic politics and a correspondingly unpredictable foreign policy.
Instead of being a patsy as 'ratbama did, Trump represents a turnaround.
Post by TS
[...]
the dukester, American-American

*****
The Purpose of scripture is not to inform,
but to form, not to teach but to live.

*****