Time To Purge Climate Change Deniers From Humanity - They Are Gullible and of Inferior Intelligence
Bill Steele
2017-02-15 20:44:17 UTC
Anti-Intellectualism And Willful Ignorance In America: The Root
Of All That Is Evil
A post on the Psychology Today website takes a unique
perspective toward the domestic terror attack in Charleston
this week. Blogger David Niose’s opinion is that racism and gun
safety are always hot button topics after a mass shooting
happens in America, but ultimately nothing of merit ever comes
from the discussion of those or any other issues. Niose
believes that “America’s social dysfunction has continued to
anti-intellectualism.”
You can see plenty of evidence of this fact if you simply watch
Fox “news” for even a few minutes or peruse the internet for
right-wing sites and pages. Example: The Republican response to
the Charleston shooting spree. The right largely point to
mental illness and label what happened a tragic but random act.
A problem too big to ever be solved. Careful not to alienate
your racist, gun-obsessed voter base, GOP!
Many GOP presidential hopefuls attended the Faith and Freedom
Coalition’s Road to Majority this week. It is an event where
Republican presidential candidates court religious
conservatives (how is this even legal?). At some point, nearly
every hopeful mentioned or alluded to Charleston. Here are some
Ted Cruz: “I just want to begin today with a moment of silence
remembering those who were murdered last night… a sick and
deranged person came and prayed with a historically black
congregation for an hour, and then murdered nine innocent
souls. Christians across our nation, across our world —
believers across the world are lifting up the congregants at
Emanuel AME.”
Rand Paul: “What kind of person goes into a church and shoots
nine people?” “There’s a sickness in our country, but it’s not
going to be solved by our government.”
Chris Christie: “It’s depraved, It’s unthinkable. We can’t put
our minds around conduct like that, can we?” “Laws can’t change
this. Only the goodwill and the love of the American people can
let those folks know that that act was unacceptable,
disgraceful, and that we need to do more to show that we love
each other.”
Jeb Bush expressed sympathy with the victims but said he did
not know why the killer did what he did.
Sen. Lindsey Graham, defender of the Confederate flag, called
for stricter enforcement of existing gun laws: “I own a bunch
of guns, and I haven’t hurt anybody, but there is something
wrong with the background system.” He noted that too bad seeds
fall through the cracks. “If I get to be president of the
United States, you fail a criminal background check, you try to
buy a gun when you’re not supposed to, you’re going to meet the
law head on.”
No consensus, no real answers, no invitation for discussion.
Not one speck of even a seed of a solution.
“In a country where a sitting congressman told a crowd that
evolution and the Big Bang are “lies straight from the pit of
hell,” where the chairman of a Senate environmental panel
brought a snowball into the chamber as evidence that climate
change is a hoax, where almost one in three citizens can’t name
the vice president, it is beyond dispute that critical thinking
has been abandoned as a cultural value. Our failure as a
society to connect the dots, to see that such anti-
intellectualism comes with a huge price, could eventually be
our downfall.”
America is poisoning itself by its own willful ignorance and
the pride that goes along with it. Just look at Dylann Roof. He
used racism and white supremacy as reasons for hate and to
commit mass murder. Roofs actions will undoubtedly be blamed on
racism and gun violence, but what we need to realize is those
things are directly tied to our nation’s culture of ignorance.
Of course, ignorance is at the root of racism. it is also true
that shootings are a reflection of America’s gun-obsessed,
violent culture. But those stem from the fact that our society
has allowed those things to define our culture. Realistically,
sensible gun policies, such as background check and limited
access to gun, are not possible in our current climate. First
we need to have in place an informed, engaged, and rational
public.
“An anti-intellectual society, however, will have large
swaths of people who are motivated by fear, susceptible to
tribalism and simplistic explanations, incapable of emotional
maturity, and prone to violent solutions. Sound familiar?” And
even though it may seem counter-intuitive, anti-intellectualism
has little to do with intelligence. We know little about the
raw intellectual abilities of Dylann Roof, but we do know that
he is an ignorant racist who willfully allowed irrational
hatred of an entire demographic to dictate his actions.
Whatever his IQ, to some extent he is a product of a culture
driven by fear and emotion, not rational thinking, and his
actions reflect the paranoid mentality of one who fails to
grasp basic notions of what it means to be human.” – Niose
What Americans are failing to acknowledge is that the majority
of our social problems are rooted in the dismissal of critical
thinking. Or the polar opposite: the glorification of the
irrational and emotional. Take, for example, the nationalistic
notion that many believe, the notion that the United States if
far superior to the rest of the world.
Love of country is perfectly fine, but to honestly believe that
the U.S. both invented and perfected the idea of freedom is to
be willfully ignorant. We are NOT number one. Not by a long
shot. International quality of life rankings place America
barely in the top ten. Murder rates and rates of other violent
crimes are astronomically higher than in most of the developed
world. Our incarceration rate is out of control, while
education and science literacy are embarrassing. Schools
upholding “traditional values” purposefully avoid sex
education. It’s no wonder that the U.S. has the highest teen
pregnancy rates in the industrialized world, skewing
particularly high in places where “biblical values” are most
influential.
Anti-intellectualism rears its head in the impact that
fundamentalist religion has had on our country. Taking fire and
brimstone religion literally can be extremely dangerous in the
modern age. These people see a war between good and evil, which
they believe has been foretold and is therefore inevitable.
They actually long for the “last days” and want to be a part of
them. Warriors for God. Throw in the fundamentalist views on
climate change (denial) with the agenda of corporate interests
(who stand to gain by their ignorance), and you have a perfect
storm of anti-intellectualism. In fact, the simple fact that
corporations dominate American society is evidence that the
public is not thinking critically. Corporations and big media
are the ones who want the American public to be uninformed and
distracted. That leads to our government to be overtaken by
corporations and lobbyists who are only in the game for one
reason: greed.
What can we do, the critical thinkers? Point out the truth.
Americans should denounce the racist and gun-crazed culture
that we shamefully allowed to blossom, and as a result, have
nine dead in Charleston. And that will not be the last time an
event like that occurs. But we also need to go a bit deeper. At
the center of American dysfunction is the abandonment of
reason.
Actually the center is greed. Coal companies don't want to stop selling
coal. Oil companies don't want us to use less gasoline. Gun sellers
don't want to stop selling guns. They explain all this to politicians
by writing it on the backs of hundred dollar bills. Instead of
denouncing the culture, fix campaign financing so he sane parts of the
culture can prevail.
#BeamMeUpScotty
2017-02-15 21:24:10 UTC
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
They'll sell solar panels if they have money invested in them, it just
happens they have money invested in coal. SO they sell coal.
--
That's Karma

Wiley E. Coyote
2017-02-17 23:58:37 UTC