Charlottesville: What happens if America's children lose our history?
Leroy N. Soetoro
2017-08-21 19:02:07 UTC
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/17/charlottesville-what-happens-if-
americas-children-lose-our-history.html

As the school year kicks off in many places across the country it
coincides with a very real and explosive situation taking place in
America’s streets that speaks directly to the decline of history in this
country. Following the terrible events in Charlottesville, we are now
facing the very real threat of our children not only losing history
through lack of education, but through erasure.

The distressing events of the last several days do provide us with an
opportunity to educate our children about history, if we are willing to
take it.

I am an author of historical fiction books for kids. And all the time, I
hear some version of this lament: “History is just not being taught in our
schools anymore! Kids don’t know if the war for independence was the
Revolutionary War or the Civil War – it’s pathetic!”

To that, I like to respond that instead of acting like history armchair
quarterbacks and placing blame and full responsibility on our school
system, perhaps take a good look in the mirror and get a gander at an
absolutely perfect part of the solution staring right back at you.

It’s true, history is not being taught as it once was in our schools. An
article from the American History Association, “The End of History
Education in Elementary Schools?,” sounded the alarm over the decline of
history education in a survey that said, “When queried about how history
education fared in comparison to other subject offerings … 88 percent of
the elementary teachers noted that it was considered a low priority and 63
percent of the elementary school principals noted that history education's
importance paled in comparison to subjects such as reading and
mathematics.”

But to that, I say: Families, how hard would it be to talk a little
history at the dinner table or while driving in the car? Or to go visit a
historic site or museum? Or to watch a historical film? Or to read some
fun history books together?

If our children aren’t being thoroughly taught history with details like
who said, “Give me liberty, or give me death!” (do you know who said
that?), then we need to work along with our schools and help fill the gaps
ourselves. Whether you have children or not, why not go visit a school and
share a fun story or artifact from American history with a class of third
graders? Dare I suggest volunteering to lead a history club?

What’s happening in the country right now actually offers a perfect
opportunity to teach children about our past. The response to
Charlottesville should not be to remove our national monuments, but to
point to them and teach the history behind them. Why are we so afraid to
do that?

Our kids need to learn the good, the bad and the ugly side of America's
history, so they will learn not to repeat the bad and aspire to surpass
the good. It's the painful lessons that teach us the most, and that stick
with us most in life.

You’ve heard the often-repeated phrase, “Those who don’t remember history
are doomed to repeat it.” The phrase is repeated because people find it to
be timelessly true. And I submit that it’s hard for children to remember
something that they aren’t taught.

Secretary of Defense James Mattis recently gave an interview with The
Islander high school paper, and was asked what subjects students should be
studying to prepare them to be politically active and aware adults. “I
don’t think you can go wrong if you maintain an avid interest in history,”
he said. “The reason I say that is you’ll find that really, there’s
nothing new under the sun, other than some of the technology we use.”

“I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of
experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past,” said
Patrick Henry in 1775. The Founding Fathers certainly studied history.
They studied the ancient civilizations and empires of Greece and Rome.
They meticulously looked at what worked and what didn’t work with human
beings and government across time. And as a result, the experiment of
American government set in motion something completely new in history –
something that had never been done before.

So here is my challenge to parents and non-parents alike: If we don’t take
personal responsibility to know history ourselves, and to teach what we
know to the next generation, then who will?

This summer I taught kids how to be colonial soldiers at an Epic Patriot
Camp in South Carolina. I asked them what would happen if we lost our
history. “We’d lose our future,” they told me. Then I asked them whose
responsibility it was to preserve our history. Their answer might surprise
you. “Ours,” they said.

If kids are willing to be responsible for preserving America’s history,
then that’s half the battle, isn’t it? The rest is up to us to teach them.

Only a few lines after his “lamp of experience” quote, Patrick Henry
rallied a nation to independence with seven little words, “Give me
liberty, or give me death!”

Now you remember who said that. So go share it with a child today. Take a
look at what is happening in our country – the good, the bad and the ugly
– and talk about it with a young person. They will be grateful for it. So
will our country.
parade of the democrat party has run out of gas.

Congratulations President Trump. Thank you for ending the disaster of the
Obama presidency.

The World According To Garp.

ObamaCare is a total 100% failure and no lie that can be put forth by its
supporters can dispute that.

Obama jobs, the result of ObamaCare. 12-15 working hours a week at minimum
wage, no benefits and the primary revenue stream for ObamaCare. It can't
be funded with money people don't have, yet liberals lie about how great
it is.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he was in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood queer
liberal democrat donors.
Nathan Hale
2017-08-21 21:06:56 UTC
http://www.fox
Mr. B1ack
2017-08-21 21:20:33 UTC
Part of the whole leftist-favored "social engineering" scheme
is control of the psychological environment - including the
culture and its history. The theory is that if you never hear
of fascism you'll never be a fascist - if all you hear is praise
for Marx & Lenin then you'll grow to praise Marxist-Leninism.

In short, it's "brainwashing by omission".

Now to be fair, this has also been a favorite tact of the
puritan faction. If you never see/hear any of that naughty
stuff then you'll stick to the puritanistic plan.

ISIL and al-Qaida have been actively persuing "cultural
cleansing" - literally destroying all ancient, 'pagan',
monuments and cities they get control of. If you never
hear of any other religion then Islam is IT ... it'll be stuck
in your head by the time you're old enough to wander
out into the wicked world.

There's only one flaw to this social-engineering approach.
"Secret" knowledge has a special ALLURE. If you find that
stuff is being hidden from you then you wanna know all
about it - perhaps to the degree of obsession. If they're
hiding stuff about the Confederacy, you'll look under every
stone to find out about it - and likely become something
of a sympathizer.

The Germans put a HUGE effort into sanitizing their
NAZI past and even added strong laws against most
any non-condemnational speech about NAZIs. The
result - more neo-NAZIs per capita than anyplace else
in the world. That hidden NAZI universe has APPEAL.

DISinformation is always more useful than deprivation
of information. Fill 'em with lies and half-lies so they'll
THINK they know all about 'X' and not be so curious.

Frankly I think the "Ban The Confederacy" tact will
kinda backfire ... it'll become COOL to be a neo-
Confederate - you'll be a Bad-Ass, a Tough Guy,
and have great fun raising hell as a Johnny Reb.